Sunday, October 28, 2012

The Stand Off



It's a standoff.  Dog vs cat.  The cat set the tone at their first meeting.  The dog entered the house for the first time and the cat jumped on his head, yowling a growling.   Poor pup, wonderful welcome committee.

Now they watch each other from a distance.  Unfortunately, I think the dog is plotting revenge.  Toby, the cat, gets a lick or two in whenever possible and, so far, Tempest, the dog hasn't retaliated, but Temp is way too interested in the cat.   In any case, I'm watching them carefully and they won't  be alone together.

Tempest is one of three dogs I rescued recently from the county shelter.  Temp was maybe six months old when he came here.  He's mostly grown now and weighs in at about 80 pounds.  Toby, of course is my twelve pound demolition machine.

9 comments:

walk2write said...

It's good to see you posting again, Marnie! I've missed your stories and scenes from Illinois. As for the critters, I'll bet they'll be more tolerant of each other once the cold weather really sets in.

Rose said...

I'm betting on Toby to win this showdown:) You never know how cats and dogs are going to react to each other, so keeping an eye on them is probably a wise idea. Sophie used to intimidate Widget, our newest cat, until Widget discovered she was just being curious and really a pushover.

By the way, I see the ad for John Sandford's latest book on your sidebar--did you read it? The last book I read by him featured Virgil Flowers unearthing a cult in Minnesota. The premise of the story bothered me so much I vowed I wouldn't read another Sandford book for awhile.

Balisha said...

How long have you been back?? I have missed you so much.Wonderful to hear about your rescue animals.
Balisha

Naturegirl said...

....and so the life of the dog and cat game begins! The photo says it all!
Bless you for rescuing Marnie.

troutbirder said...

Welcome back Marnie. It's been too long. Saw your link on W2W Hoping to see more of that handsome GSD. As to dog/cat interacton Baron and Simba have given me six years of practical experience...:)

Gail said...

Oh my, life is very interesting at your place! I have no idea who will win this draw, but I hope they become great good friends in the end.

Balisha said...

I just read your comment on my post today. I am so sorry for your loss. Please know that I'm keeping you and your family in my prayers.
Balisha

Rose said...

Marnie, I just saw your comment on Balisha's post--I am so sorry to hear about your mother. I hope that your memories of her will bring you comfort in the coming days.

troutbirder said...

Good to see you again, Marnie. As to your rescues... way to go. As to dogs and cats, well good luck. Our Simba and Baron have evolved to the Cold War. I think it was called peaceful coexistence...:)