Friday, November 23, 2012


If my home life was a sit com, and we had a theme song, it would be the Pointer Sisters singing “I’m So Excited”.

I’m so excited, I just can’t hide it
I’m about to lose control and I think I like it
I’m so excited, I just can’t hide it
I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I want it.

We run for the pure joy of running

If you have dogs, you know what I mean.  Every little thing is a huge, exciting, adventure for a dog.  Meal times always begin with dancing and singing.  MacDuff, the little sheltie twirls and woo, woo, woos.  Foxfire the German shepherd has been told to sit/stay but she moos like a steer and bounces on her butt.  Tempest the soprano is singing in a range that will one day shatter all my windows. 

Come

 To a dog, car rides are pure science fiction, something akin to the transporter on the old Star Trek series.  We all climb into a box, the world rushes past the windows with a woosh.  Then the box opens and we all jump out into another time and place.  Magic stuff.

A car sitting in the drive is an invitation to ride.  I came home with groceries Tuesday and the dogs ran and barked while I unloaded.  It must have been frustrating that the car doors were all closed and the dogs couldn’t enter the transporter.  Tempest decided to hop in the trunk for his ride.  I laughed, just couldn’t help it.  Mistake.  My ‘out’ command didn’t sound convincing when it was said through laughter.  We had a tug of war before he finally jumped down.

Fox with her jug, an old Arizona ice tea container she carries everywhere.

 And then there are the treats.  We all give our dogs treats they don’t need because it makes them so darn happy.  They will do anything--anything for a treat.  A treat can be the size of a pea, doesn’t matter.  Dogs don’t taste treats, they just inhale them.  The German shepherds are very delicate when they take their treats but I have to remember to be careful of the sheltie.  He will remove fingers along with the treat.   For the sheltie, I have to show him the fist and then slowly reveal the tiny treat so those sharp little teeth don’t snap down on flesh. 


A few days ago, I told the dogs we were going for a walk.  That word triggers the twirling and wooing, singing and mooing.  Then the phone rang.  It was my health insurance provider with questions.  Three dogs sat down in front of me while I talked.  Then the soprano started warbling.  The low mooing joined in, and sharp barks made up the beat.  The woman on the other end of the line started giggling.  “What is that”, she asked.  I had to stop twice to shush the dogs while the insurance lady giggled. Finally she said, “Good news, tell the dogs they can go for their walk now”. 

 We are going outside for a walk now.  Shh, don’t say it out loud.  It’s a secrete until I put on my coat.  I have a new camera and we’re going to take some photos.  The shepherds will run around and play-fight but the sheltie will get upset when I point the camera at him.  He thinks the camera is another Star Trek gadget—the death ray.  He’s pretty sure cameras vaporize dogs.  Good thing I have a zoom lens.  He won’t notice it so much from a telephoto distance. 

Tempest waits for me to catch up.

By the way, I really like my new Panasonic DMC-FX40 24X zoom lens camera.  These photos were taken with the camera just out of the box, no time to study the manual.   The above pix are long zooms on a gloomy day shot at ia mode.  I'm going to enjoy working with it.  

25 comments:

walk2write said...

Wow! I'd say you're pretty handy with that new camera. I'm impressed. With something that fancy, I'd be intimidated.

Hope you had a great holiday. It looks like the weather up your way is still fine for outdoor activities.

Rose said...

Your dogs are beautiful, Marnie, and such fun--I felt as though as I was right there with you, romping with them. I chuckled at the phone call; when I tell my two they're going outside, they get pretty excited, too, and don't appreciate interruptions either.

My daughter and her husband were here for Thanksgiving week, bringing their two dogs along--a pug and a Mastiff. An acquaintance brought over something to drop off, and it must have been quite a sight to her to have four dogs lined up at the door, eager to "welcome" her. I'm just glad she was a dog lover, too:)

troutbirder said...

Oh my. What a fun post, Marnie. And three such lovable pooches. I don't think I could do it though as I have trouble barely keeping up with just one....(big as he is):)

Mike said...

I didn't realize you were still in the blogosphere, Marnie. Last time I checked here you'd been 'absent' for so long I thought you were finished. I''m happy to see you again. Your description of your dogs is perfect...this is what goes on in my house, too. We also have 3 dogs and it's always crazy, especially if you say the word walk or squirrel ;) I really enjoyed your post about them. Dogs truly are woman's best friend!

Jan said...

Oh wow...I just saw the ID name used in the comment above! I am signed in to google on my husband's account and it showed his name. You probaby had no idea who Mike was (is) ! Glad I came back to check so I can clarify who wrote that last comment! It's me, Jan from Thanks For Today:) Take care!!

Betsy Adams said...

Marnie, It's great to hear from you... It's been FOREVER... You had family problems the last time I talked to you. You'll have to catch me up on your life and family.

I'm doing fine --and staying as busy as always. Still blogging ---and am really into Facebook these days. Enjoy both..

Catch me up sometime.
Hugs,
Betsy
betsyadams@mac.com

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was good.
I don't know who you are but definitely you're going to a famous
blogger if you are not already ;) Cheers!

Also visit my page Kreowaniezieleni.pl

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Hi there! Do you use Twitter? I'd like to follow you if that would be okay. I'm
definitely enjoying your blog and look forward to new posts.


Here is my web-site; ロレックスコピー時計

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I'm not sure where you're getting your info, but great topic.

I needs to spend some time learning much more
or understanding more. Thanks for fantastic info I was looking for this information
for my mission.

My web page - ロレックスレプリカ

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
JC said...

My Golden Ret. loves to eat. I have to tell her, Take it Nice, when I give her bones. Either wise I get eaten like I'm chicken.

Car rides are always a treat at my house.

And, even if I go out in my front yard to just get the mail, I get two dogs so excited that I came home.

My two are goofy for sure.

Geraldine said...

Hi, I couldn't find a contact email for you, I'd love to write to you about a new Kindle book I have just published that I think you'd really enjoy based on your interests etc...

I read your profile page at Amazon and I also love butterflies and I am a long-time animal rights advocate. What you have on your sidebar about Iams is shocking, I had no idea about this!

If you could email me at your convenience, that would be great.

I'll sign in with my Google acct. and I do have a contact email at my site.

Thanks so much!