Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Midway through the 2015 holiday season



Santa had an especially stressful Christmas this year.  All the rain, lack of snow and, of course, more children than ever kept the poor old guy working nonstop for months.   The first of January, he decided to take a little relaxing vacation fishing alone in the wilderness.  I happened to catch these photos of him as he canoed down the creek trailing his fishing lure.  





I love winter mornings in my kitchen,  sipping tea, eating a muffin and watching the birds at the feeders.  We have several inches of sleet on the ground so the birds are desperate to find food.  The peanut feeders attract some of my favorite varieties.  I have these feeders up close to the windows so I can see them clearly.







Woodpeckers, chickadees, nuthatches, tufted titmice, blue jays and others are constant visitors to the suet feeders.  The same birds that like peanuts like suet.    



This is by far the best bird watching investment I've ever made.  I don't plug a lot of items, but this Brome 1024 feeder has gone far above and beyond all my expectations.  I bought this feeder about 10 years ago and it has spent every day of those 10 years outside, summer and winter.  It has a lifetime warranty but I've never had to replace a broken or damaged part.  The feeder has been squirrel proof mounted on my post with a baffle.  It has never broken or cracked altho it has blown down several times in very strong winds.    A three quart fill up lasts all day.  I was tired of replacing feeders that fell apart in one season or less.  This feeder has solved that problem at less than $10 a year.  It is the only feeder I've tried that attracts cardinals as well as finches, woodpeckers and occasionally the blue jays.  Severson Dells a local conservation site, has these feeders in use year round.


The days after Christmas are always a bit of a let down for me.  I'm taking down the Santas, the wreaths, the garlands and little trees that I put up with such love and care a few weeks ago.  Wishing you all a happy New Year and hoping you stay cheerful through the dark cold days of January.  







14 comments:

BeadedTail said...

We've had so much rain that we hadn't been able to get out and fill up all the bird feeders. It's finally sunny for the next few days and the feeders are full and the birdies are flocking to them! We're all enjoying it very much!

Hope you have a very Happy 2016!

tina said...

Awwww, hang in there. Soon spring will be upon us. Happy New Year to you too!

Rambling Woods said...

As I type there is a flying squirrel at the feeder. I have two of these are leave up, but take the others down. I found a raccoon can take it out, but not a squirrel...Bird watching is the best... Please have a Happy New Year!! ... Michelle

Anonymous said...

Lovely array of birds your feeders attract. I enjoy watching the birds in our garden too. Our cat is too old to hunt now, so I can encourage them in.
Happy New Year!

Lowcarb team member said...

Some lovely photo's here thank you.

I always think the few days between Christmas and New Year can seem a little flat ...

However, I'm raising a glass to wish you a Happy and Healthy 2016.

All the best Jan

Nan and =^..^= said...

Wishing you a very happy healthy New Year...
We do have similar birds visiting this winter. I love to watch, photograph and paint them.The bring so much joy. That's a good tip about the bird feeder.

Rose said...

Can't blame Santa for needing a little vacation after Christmas this year! The Brome feeder looks very sturdy, though what I'd like to find is one that refills itself, especially when the snow gets too deep:) Looking forward to some bird-watching myself, now that the Christmas rush is over. Wishing you a very Happy New Year, Marnie!

troutbirder said...

Fun post and I love the header and all the pictures on the side...:)

troutbirder said...

Oops and I forget to wish you a Happy New Year...:)

Lowcarb team member said...

Just stopping by to say hello ...
Hope the first few days of 2016 have gone well for you.

I do love your photo's here, never tire of looking at them.

All the best Jan

Pat said...

Cute post ! Of course super pics.

Lowcarb team member said...

Hi there ... just stopping by ... hope 2016 has started well for you.

Take Care

All the best Jan

oldcrow61 said...

I love the fishing Santa, lol. Lovely pictures of the birds. I have several feeders up close to the windows as well and enjoy watching the birds come back and forth along with the squirrels.

sweetbay said...

I haven't put up a bird feeder in years because the garden provides a lot of food, although if I lived in No. Illinois I certainly would! Bird feeders make for great bird watching. I had a bird feeder and heated water bath outside my kitchen window when we lived in PA and I saw so many birds up close that way.

You got some great shots. All of those birds look adorable too.